About Me

My photo
I was born in Glasgow, Scotalnd and moved with my family to Geelong, Australia in 1981. I love to cook, I love to craft and I love to remember days now gone. This blog is as much for me as it is for anyone else, It's a way to express, share and remember. Linee pronounced Line-e is a name giving to some years ago by a friend’s daughter who found it difficult to say Caroline as a little girl, over the years it has stuck and now I am known to many as Linee.

Friday, March 4, 2011

A day for me followed by dinner for two - make that one!

9am - I have today off work (Yeh!) and after a busy week and feeling a bit run down (head cold) decided I was going to have a “ME DAY”… So I plan to do some shopping, treat myself to lunch out somewhere and then I thought I would cook Rob & I a lovely dinner. Inspired by watching the Movie Julie & Julia and the somewhat colder days setting in I thought maybe Beef Bourguignon. So I searched some recipes and decided on one to cook. Then as Rob was about to leave for work this morning he reminded me (for the first time) that he was on shift tonight and would not be home. Beef Bourguignon for two has become Beef Bourguignon for one…. Oh well Bon Appetite.




4.30pm - Well what a day I have had, nothing planned just took it as it came. Firstly I headed to Belmont for a little window shopping. Okay Yes - I did make a purchase this stunning Elk Brooch. I then bumped into Helen whom I have worked with on and off over the years, she was also having a "ME DAY" so we decided coffee and cake together was a good idea at CBD (Coffee by design) and I could not resist a lemon citrus tart (my favourite). On returning to the car I met Anna the most gentle spirited woman I have ever met so a chat with her brightened up my already lovely morning even more.





Next stop was Spotlight, I decided some craft projects were on the agenda so I went looking for some inspiration. Here is what I bought.

1st Picture - second pay it forward on it's way... 2nd Picture Inspired by my friend Kath...





I headed over to Whittington to our Op Shop to say hello to the ladies and gentlemen who were on shift. Then after a lovely Chat dropped in to see my mum and ask if she would like to go for lunch at Fig and Hoe, a lovely little tea room and gift shop in the Wombat Gully plant nursery.

We had a browse in the shop followed by some lunch, a lovely pumpkin and feta quiche with Chutney. Next a wander around the nursery and a few purchases to put in pots in our courtyard.


A Winter Lace Lavender plant, some old fashioned red Geranium Plants (they remind me of a dear old auntie) and some Blue Marguerite.


On the way home I stopped off at Waurn Ponds shopping village where I bumped into Karen & Seth. This dear little boy who is 2 1/2 and has the cutest smile and biggest eyes was born with a kidney problem and has been in an out of hospital since birth. He is so placid and loves to give cuddles and Hi 5's. Thanks for my cuddle Seth ♥. Finally I stopped off at Safeway to purchase the ingredients for my Beef Bourguignon.


All in all a lovely day indeed... Now for some cooking.



Ingredients

2 tbsp Olive oil

750g Gravy beef (trim & cut into cubes / 3cm)

8 Eschalots, peeled

2 Fresh cloves of garlic, crushed

4 lean middle bacon rashers, trimmed & chopped

200g Small button mushrooms

2 Medium Carrots, peeled halved and sliced

2tbsp plain flour

2 Cups red wine

1 cup beef stock

1 bouquet garni


Method

Preheat your oven to 180oC or 160oC for fan forced.

Heat 1tbsp oil in a large, heavy based (oven & flameproof) casserole dish over a medium heat.

Cook beef in batches until browned 5-6 mins then transfer to a bowl.

Heat remaining oil in dish, add eschalots, garlic, bacon, mushrooms & carrot. Cook for 5minutes or until eschalots begin to soften.

Return beef to the dish, add flour and cook stirring for 1min.

Sir in wine, stock and bouquet garni.

Cover with lid, bring to the boil then transfer to oven and bale for 2hours or until beef is tender.

Remove from oven and discard bouquet garni.

Serve with your favourite mash.


ENJOY♥

No comments: