About Me

My photo
I was born in Glasgow, Scotalnd and moved with my family to Geelong, Australia in 1981. I love to cook, I love to craft and I love to remember days now gone. This blog is as much for me as it is for anyone else, It's a way to express, share and remember. Linee pronounced Line-e is a name giving to some years ago by a friend’s daughter who found it difficult to say Caroline as a little girl, over the years it has stuck and now I am known to many as Linee.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Reed Diffuser


I am enjoying the idea of making my own natural household and beauty product's and today came across this web page http://www.back-to-basics-cleaning.com/ with lots of great ideas for around the home.

I especially liked this simple recipe for the reed diffuser (see below)

What you will need -

Willow or rattan reeds (which can be purchased at your local craft store)
A small vase or jar with a narrow opening
Essential oil
Inexpensive Vodka
A light vegetable-based oil such as safflower or sunflower

Fill the vase about halfway with the vegetable oil
Add 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oil.
Add a teaspoon of inexpensive vodka. (The high-proof alcohol content in the vodka will help emulsify the oil and water together, and will help with rapid evaporation.
Shake gently to mix.
Stand the reeds in the vase.
You can adjust the amount of essential oil to your liking, but remember a small amount usually goes a long way.
Remember to flip the reeds occasionally to recharge the scent.
I found the picture above on the Ikea website and thought this would make a great bottle at only
99c.


4 comments:

Ma's Crafty Bits said...

I'll be using this idea a lot now, thanks. It will be nice to make reed diffusers in scents that we like rather than being limited by what is commercially available.

Mrs Linee said...

The good thing is we can use pure oils when we make our own rather that the synthetic oils used in the coomercially bought diffuser's...

georgi_girl said...

Linee have you found the reeds in Geelong? I'd like to give the diffuser a try but haven't seen the reeds before

Mrs Linee said...

georgi ebay have some ... I have not looked around geelong for them but will try some health food stores and maybe some craft shops.. The one in Bay City near Big W is woth a try ...