About Me

My photo
I was born in Glasgow, Scotalnd and moved with my family to Geelong, Australia in 1981. I love to cook, I love to craft and I love to remember days now gone. This blog is as much for me as it is for anyone else, It's a way to express, share and remember. Linee pronounced Line-e is a name giving to some years ago by a friend’s daughter who found it difficult to say Caroline as a little girl, over the years it has stuck and now I am known to many as Linee.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Recipe Challenge 3 - Beetroot Relish


Some friends have just given me some amazing fresh beetroot. I have always wanted to have a go a beetroot relish so here it is.




Ingredients
750g Beetroot
1 Brown onion
2 Cups balsamic vinegar
1Cup water
3 Teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
2 Cups sugar
2 Cloves or pinch of ground cloves
5cm Piece of orange rind
Sea salt & Cracked Pepper


Method
1. Peel & process beetroot and onion in food processor
2. In a covered pan, fry mustard seeds in a little oil
3. Add all ingredients to pan cook on a medium heat,
    cover and bring to the boil
4. Cook for 30 minutes or until the beetroot is soft
    and the liquid has reduced and thickened slightly
5. Pour into sterilized jars, seal an cool.



Recipe makes about 5 Cups and will keep for about 2 months.



To sterilize jars i put them in a hot oven 180oC for 10 minutes and boiled the lids in a saucepan on the stove top. Be careful when removing from the oven and make sure you do not put them onto a cold or damp surface as the jar may crack. I used a wooden chopping board covered with some old tea towels to sit hot jars on as I filled them.

ENJOY♥

No comments: