About Me

My photo
I was born in Glasgow, Scotalnd and moved with my family to Geelong, Australia in 1981. I love to cook, I love to craft and I love to remember days now gone. This blog is as much for me as it is for anyone else, It's a way to express, share and remember. Linee pronounced Line-e is a name giving to some years ago by a friend’s daughter who found it difficult to say Caroline as a little girl, over the years it has stuck and now I am known to many as Linee.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Lemon Cordial

I have always wanted to have a go at making home made cordial but never got round to doing it until tonight. My first issue was recipe, so many to choose from and not sure which one to try. In the end I decided to give one a go with a few minor changes of my own (poetic licence).

In addition some recipes call for you to sterilise the bottles and others don't, you decide.

Ingredients (make about 5litres)
4 tablespoons lemon rind grated
4 teaspoons citric acid (see note below)
4 teaspoons tartaric acid
6 cups caster sugar
6 cups of lemon juice
12 cups water

Method

Place lemon, lemon rind, citric acid and tartaric acid in a bowl.
Place water and sugar into a bowl and heat until sugar is dissolved.
Add lemon, lemon rind, citric acid and tartaric acid to sugar syrup and mix together.
Funnel the cordial into prepared bottles, seal and refrigerate to chill.

(if like me you have no funnel a plastic drink bottle cut down worked well)

To serve

Use about 1/3 cordial to 2/3 chilled sparkling mineral water or iced water. Serve with thinly sliced lemon.

Note: Citric acid is a natural preservative and will also enhance the citrus flavour the cordial.

The finished product (these bottle's made in Italy were found at our local REJECT shop for $1.00 - they have screw top lids)
 
ENJOY♥

1 comment:

mimagirlcreations said...

Yummy, I made some earlier in summer. So refreshing and d'lish