About Me

My photo
I was born in Glasgow, Scotalnd and moved with my family to Geelong, Australia in 1981. I love to cook, I love to craft and I love to remember days now gone. This blog is as much for me as it is for anyone else, It's a way to express, share and remember. Linee pronounced Line-e is a name giving to some years ago by a friend’s daughter who found it difficult to say Caroline as a little girl, over the years it has stuck and now I am known to many as Linee.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Open the door of your heart this Christmas

Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.”



― Laura Ingalls Wilder


This is one of my favourite Christmas quotes.


 
Christmas for so many in our community is such a sad and lonely time. On Monday I cooked Christmas lunch in one of our local community centers for 80 people with a wonderful team of volunteers (volunteers are very special people). We had a lovely day sharing the Christmas spirit together, telling stories, watching christmas power point presentations, singing songs and sharing in a lovely lunch. We have been the running the community lunch now for two years and it's a free service to our community. During this time we have got to know one another and shared the ups and downs together. I was moved last monday by one of our regulars who when leaving came over gave me a hug and said "Thank you for my Christmas" as tears ran down her face. It was not thanks for lunch but "Thank you for my Christmas". It made me realise how important the community lunch was for this one person as we shared in what was her Christmas.

How can you be a gift to another this Christmas?

No comments: