About Me

My photo
I was born in Glasgow, Scotalnd and moved with my family to Geelong, Australia in 1981. I love to cook, I love to craft and I love to remember days now gone. This blog is as much for me as it is for anyone else, It's a way to express, share and remember. Linee pronounced Line-e is a name giving to some years ago by a friend’s daughter who found it difficult to say Caroline as a little girl, over the years it has stuck and now I am known to many as Linee.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Blessed to be a blessing - take two

The picture below is of my husband Rob back in 2009 with our sponsor child Sandra. Sandra is an orphan and she lives at Jordan House in Kampala, Uganda. I love this photo and It is a reminder to me just how blessed I am. I have just heard from some friends back visiting Jordan House at the moment, that with the economic situation inflation has hit people in Uganda hard with the cost of rice rising many families are going hungry. The average earnings is around $2.50 per day ($12.50 a week or $650.00 a year). For $45 a month we are making a difference in Sandra's life. She has a home, food, shelter, clothing and education. Tonight I was talking to a friend who's family has been making a big difference in the lives of a whole community in Fiji (a lot closer to home). A young family has just lost there father leaving mum to care for 4 children on her own. The children are 6, 8, 9, 13 - because of the little income mum earns (about $2 per hour in a laundry) life for this family will become an even bigger struggle. My friend hoped to find enough sponsorship to send the children to school next year so I enquired how much it would cost - the three primary school children $45 each and the high school child $65. For a grand total of $200 per year (included fees, books & uniforms) these children can have the opportunity of an education and this works out to be about 55c per day for the four children to go to school. I was delighted to be able to say that Rob and I would sponsor all four Children and look at other ways we can help the family. Blessed to be a blessing indeed.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

what a gift! this goes along nicely with my "thankful" theme last week ... we just don't realize how lucky we are sometimes. thanks for the reminder!

Mrs Linee said...

Thanks Amanda - and so so true.. I remember reading an article that said if you live in Australia and are on government benefits you are in the top 10% of the worlds wealthiest people..
We do have so much to be thankful for. I also see it as my responsibility to help those who have less than I do. And like I said I am blessed in return. Lets keep on being thankful - always good to keep life in perspective..
Have a thankful week ☺